Vitamin D Toxicity

Vitamin D toxicity

Vitamin D

Vitamin D is otherwise called sunshine vitamin and is a fat soluble vitamin. It is the only vitamin that is synthesized by the body with the help of ultra violet radiation of sun light. Vitamin D plays an important role in maintaining the normal level of phosphorus and calcium in the body. This is because vitamin D helps to absorb these minerals and thus ensures the proper growth of the bones and teeth. Vitamin D is seen in two forms like vitamin D2 and D3. Deficiency of vitamin D may cause osteoporosis, rickets etc and may also increases your risk for getting cancer. Similarly vitamin D toxicity is also a problem.

Vitamin D Toxicity

Vitamin D if taken in higher amounts may become toxic and this condition is called vitamin toxicity. The normal recommendation of vitamin D per day is 400 to 600 IU and some experts claims that it can be up to 1000 to 2000 IU daily. But if the amount of vitamin D increases beyond 10,000 IU per day then it becomes toxic. It can be due to the excessive intake of vitamin supplements. This is because body can’t produce  vitamin D beyond a limit and similarly the fortified foods too consist of small amounts of vitamin D. vitamin D toxicity may cause serious health problems and some of them are listed here.

Symptoms of Vitamin D toxicity

When the amount of vitamin D becomes high then it increases the amount of calcium with in the blood. This condition is called hypercalcaemia. Hypercalcaemia in turn may cause vomiting, nausea, constipation, anorexia, poor appetite etc. There may be weakness, bone pain, abnormality in heart rate, drowsiness, headache and confusions. The affected person may also have the chance for developing stones in kidney. Frequent urge for urination, excessive thirst, excessive amounts of protein and calcium in urine etc along with kidney failure, heart diseases and high blood pressure are the major complications of vitamin D toxicity.

If you are found to have vitamin D toxicity then immediately stop your vitamin D intake. Also restrict the intake of calcium and hydrate yourself with fluids. It will be better to consult your doctor in severe cases.