To ensure the quality of your silverware and to enjoy its beauty it is very essential that you take good care of it. Proper care and careful handling are vital for its maintenance. Here are a few tips for cleaning silverware that will come in handy:
1. If there is no tarnish on the piece of silver you can wash it in phosphate-free detergent. After washing it rinse in warm water. Use a soft cloth to dry off the surface.
2. If the chlorine content of the water is high it might spoil the shine of the silver so, do not leave the piece of silver wet for long. After washing it dry off immediately using a piece of cloth.
3. If you want that extra shine on your silverware you can add a little milk to the water while cleaning.
4. Toothpaste is another very useful ingredient in rendering the silverware bright.
5. Do not use dry polish or rough pad to clean the silver as this might result in scratching the surface of the silver. Use very little of the silver polish and always use a soft piece of cloth while cleaning.
6. If you want to remove any spot or tarnish on the silverware use salt, wet with a little water, on the spot and rub. This is a very effective way of removing spots and tarnishes.
7. Old powder puffs are also good for polishing silverware. They are soft and therefore there is very little chance of scratches on the surface of the silver.
8. Mix 2 teaspoons of ammonia in a bowl of warm soap water. Then clean the silver using a toothbrush with soft bristles. This is effective in cleaning silver that have become dark. After the cleaning has been done use a soft towel to dry the silver.
9. Mix a little soda to the soap water and then clean the silverware with this solution.
10. Do not wash your silverware in a dishwasher as this may spoil the natural shine of silver.